Old February 14th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

Default "A Guide to Transponders in Sailplanes" - updated!

absolutely....installing a transponder doesn't require any documentation if
it's in a experimental other than maybe a logbook entry and a new
wt/bal......BUT turning it on does!
Any Transponder equipped aircraft has to have a static system test and be
signed off by an approved avionics repair station prior to use....these all
then can be monitored by ATC... without this what is to prevent a
transponder equipped glider flying at 10,000' and reporting to ATC that he
is actually at 9000' and directly in line with the flight path of a 747!
Also.....consider, a Transponder equipped aircraft is also REQUIRED to have
the transponder ON and reporting at all times from wheels up to wheels
down......not just as I have heard many glider pilots saying they "only use"
the transponder when they are flying at or near areas of high traffic....
think about this....
tim

Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

Eric Greenwell wrote:
On Feb 11, 11:00 am, BB wrote:
Very nice update. One missing issue: installation legalities. I konw
some pilots have gotten 337s. I know that many have not. Do we really
need a 337? What reg says so (I looked to no avail)? Why, for example,
would a transponder need a 337 but a radio does not? What is, really,
required to legally install a transponder?

John Cochrane

I've skirted around the legalities, because it's a confusing issue to
me, too. I would like to address it, however, so if someone
knowledgeable can provide me with info on it, or point to a good
source (documents or person(s)), I'll be glad to add a section on it.

Otherwise, we'll have to wait until I can dig it out myself!