Old July 29th 09, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Franklin[_7_]

Default On pre-flight inspections

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:29:14 -0400, Peter Dohm wrote:

"Franklin " "Franklin wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 23:09:30 -0700, Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
Franklin "Franklin wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:25:04 -0700, Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
"Peter Dohm" wrote:

"vaughn" wrote in message

"a" wrote in message

I did watch a PA28 do turns around a tiedown once because the PIC
didn't untie the left wing before trying to taxi out.

I once watched a rental 172 return from an apparently uneventful
flight
with the rudder lock still attached to the rudder. Take-home lesson:
Some
folks fly flat-footed.

Also, at least twice I have ran down and stopped planes on the
taxiway
with flags flying from left-on pitot covers. Take-home lesson: One
good
reason to put flags on them is so someone else can save your bacon
after
you do a crappy preflight.

Vaughn

I nearly started an engine with a propeller lock still in place--and
was
fortunate enough to have someone wave my down in time. Due to lucky
timing
and the good samaritan, there was no damage.

Heh, funny you should mention that. I once forgot to remove an orange
cone that the FBO had "helpfully" placed in front of the prop. It's
amazing what a propeller -- even one not moving at full speed -- can do
to an orange cone. That one set me back quite a bit as well.

rg

Are cones expensive or are your poor?

Franklin

Cones are cheap, but engine rebuilds after a prop strike aren't. (I
was, of course, referring not to money, but to the time it took to
consult with a mechanic to convince myself that a rebuild would not be
necessary.)

rg

Please be more clear for the beginners next time.

Franklin

It was sufficiently clear to the rest.

Which has nothing to do with my remark. Troll on.

Franklin