Old September 6th 04, 11:06 PM
Andre van Niekerk

I suggest leaving as is. Won't gain much by fixing and might regret later. I
agree that temp might have played a role and if so after fixing it will
happen again. Waste of good money.

Andre

"Andy Blackburn" wrote in message
I've got my ASW-27B in the shop to have some cosmetic
work done - building up the tip skids and fixing some
minor scrapes.

At the same time I'm wondering if a profiling job is
in order as I can now see spar and rib dimples top
and bottom all along both wings. The shop tells me
that it's going to need filling, priming, maybe microbaloons
- it's shrunk that much while curing. The glider was
manufactured in January of 2003, so it's 20 months
old. I am surprised at how visibly dimpled it is.
It's always been kept in the trailer in a hanger -
but it does live and fly in the Western deserts so
maybe the heat has something to do with it.

I need to tap into some collective experience and advice:

Is it too soon for this? When does all the shrinking
stop? I don't want to go through this twice. Do the
dimples hurt performance - how concerned should I be?

The shop tells me they can bake the wings to accelerate
whatever remaining curing/shrinkage remains prior to
profiling. Is this recommended or to be avoided. I
wasn't quoted a temperature.

In terms of materials - what are the tradeoffs with
Urethane versus Prestec versus the Schleicher factory
stuff?

What should I expect to pay for a full top/bottom filling,
profiling and resurfacing/polishing? I've heard numbers
that are all over the map.

Thanks!

9B