Old August 20th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

Default Rust prevention: Inside fuselage

Morgans wrote:
"Michael Horowitz" wrote

It's a rag and tube a/c and we're talking holes in the steel.
I can send you an illustration via e-mail showing the hole in the
landing gear strut if you're interested - Mike

That goes against convention, for rag and tube aircraft, from everything I
have read.

The tubes should have holes at joints, so all of the insides of the tubes
are connected to each other. All of the tubes should not be open to the
outside air. That is the only way that rust inside of the tubes can be
prevented.

There seems to be two conventions then, Jim. One is as you describe.
The other is to make sure that water doesn't have a place to collect by
providing a drain hole at the lowest point. The Dyke Delta's rear spar
and elevon spars are completely open.

If kept in a reasonably dry environment, the less labor intensive method
is sufficient. The Delta prototype, N555A, has lasted 45 years. John
Dyke just announced that he has found rust in the elevon spars and may
have to ground the plane.

If you expect the airplane to fly over the beaches of the world forever,
then a 100% guaranteed seal is necessary. For the rest of us, I'm not
so sure that is the case.