Old August 20th 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default Rust prevention: Inside fuselage

"Ernest Christley" wrote

There seems to be two conventions then, Jim. One is as you describe. The
other is to make sure that water doesn't have a place to collect by
providing a drain hole at the lowest point. The Dyke Delta's rear spar
and elevon spars are completely open.

If kept in a reasonably dry environment, the less labor intensive method
is sufficient. The Delta prototype, N555A, has lasted 45 years. John
Dyke just announced that he has found rust in the elevon spars and may
have to ground the plane.

If you expect the airplane to fly over the beaches of the world forever,
then a 100% guaranteed seal is necessary. For the rest of us, I'm not so
sure that is the case.

Humm.

I wonder if the extra labor to do the sealed method is that significant,
compared to all of the time and effort it takes to weld up a good fuselage.
I tend to think the extra effort is not significant, but to each his own.

There is something in me that _does not want to accept_ the fact that
there can be damage happening that can not be inspected visually, and that
gives no sign that "bad things" are happening, and if allowed to continue,
could cause a failure and an almost certain injury and possible death. I
can not accept that a little more effort in sealing the inside of the tubes
is not worth what ever extra effort it takes. That is just me, though.

I guess you know where I stand on the subject now, don't you! g
--
Jim in NC