Old February 11th 18, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

Default RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 16:51:26 -0800, AS wrote:

On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 10:14:30 AM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
I know of a winch site that sighs off pilots for solo without doing a
single rope break practice, and only a hand full of dual tows. I wonder
how Matt was trained?

Boggs

Boggs,
that may hold true for the US but in Europe, winching is the predominant
launch method for gliders due to the high cost of AVGAS and operating
power planes. It is very likely that Matt was trained on the winch up to
first solo, which would have included launch failure training ad nausea
- at least that's how it was handled in my club in Germany.
Uli 'AS'

..... and in my UK club we do an annual refresher that includes a high
aero tow for stalls and spins and two winch launch failures. No solo
flying allowed in the new season without getting sign-offs for these.