Old July 22nd 03, 09:32 PM
Don Tuite

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:44:32 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

You are probably right. But I'm hard-pressed to name another similar-sized
university-town anywhere in the country that does NOT have a municipal
airport. Can you think of any?

A few in California. Here's the situation at the State University
campi:

The little airport at UC Davis is owned by the U. It's been under
some pressure recently, but there are other small strips nearby
UC Santa Cruz: closest public airport is Watsonville -- not so close.
UC Berkeley: Oakland
UCLA: Santa Monica and Van Nuys
UC Riverside: Riverside
UC Santa Barbara: Santa Barbara is adjacent to campus
UC Irvine: John Wayne
UC San Diego: Lindbergh, but I don't think it's particularly
GA-friendly. GA airports are out a ways.
UC Merced: When it opens next year will have not only Merced, but
ex-Castle airbase (A****er) with its enormous runways.

California State University has 23 campi. The only one I'm not sure
about having a convenient GA airport is San Marcos, because I've
mislaid my LA sectional.

Don