Old August 7th 03, 01:06 AM
vince

"Brett" wrote in message ...
"vince" wrote:
| "Brett" wrote in message
| "vince" wrote:
| | Fred J. McCall wrote in message n
| | :
| | :However Ireland has been occupied and held since 1172 or there
abouts the
| | :south release in the 1920's
| |
| | I think that's wrong. I didn't think they actually took over
Ireland
| | until Liz I.
| |
| |
| | The Military occupation of Ireland began under Strongbow and Henry
II
| | The Treaty of Windsor in 1175 recognized the military conquest.
| |
| |
| | http://www.rte.ie/culture/millennia/history/0711.html
|
| From your link: "Before Henry VIII came to power in 1509 the English
had
| little influence over Ireland. Henry feared that foreign or domestic
| enemies would use Ireland as a base for attacking him."
|
| Apples and oranges.

No, your comment implied total control since the 12th Century, your
reference says otherwise.

My coomment was "The Military occupation of Ireland began under
Strongbow and Henry II" Tehat is undoubtedly correct. As ain the
war of the roses in England, the central power (the king) had to deal
with regional powers ( the barons) htis truggle was a fact of British
hsitory throughout the plantagenate era. Ireland, lke amny other
areas was caught up in htis game among competing anglo norman
warlords.

Vince