Old May 19th 05, 02:08 AM
01-- Zero One

Tim,

I completely agree with you about the hydration issue. I did not mean
to imply that I did not drink. Actually, depending on the day, I drink
quite a bit... with the concomitant peeing. I simply meant to make the
point that proper concentration is not always enhanced by diverting
attention to water spouts or ziplock baggies full of granola, or peeing,
for that matter.

Another issue that I was alluding to is that of "level of
concentration". It is very easy to be driving down the interstate at 75
mph, negotiating traffic, talking on the cellphone, and, when we reach
our destination in one piece, to say "Man, I am a multitasking dude!
Driving, talking, negotiating deals... and I am obviously safe... see, I
made here without a scratch!"

The fact is that I may have simply had the minimum of concentration
necessary to negotiate the driving task successfully. When it comes to
contest and serious cross country, "adequate concentration" is going to
give you mediocre results at best.

I can hear it now... "But darlin', I got the bowl of ice cream because I
need to concentrate on the football game... and it's been 2 hours since
dinner time!" :-)

Larry

"ttaylor at cc.usu.edu" wrote in message
:

Larry,

If you neglect to eat, drink, etc. you are at risk of beginning to
loose your ability to focus on all those other tasks you are talking
about. Most people need food every 2 to 4 hours to maintain peak
concentration and we have all seen the effects of dehydration too many
times. I have lost at least one friend to that here in the west.

That is why most of us find food that we can eat with little effort. I
tend to use soft granola bars (the hard ones dehydrate me and are
messy), I like apples because they tend to settle my stomach and
provide moisture as well.

Tim