Old October 22nd 05, 02:24 AM
Doug

Default Wherewhendid dual speed on ias come from

Just a couple of comments on the nautical vs statute miles thing. I
hope this hasn't been covered. I like nautical miles becuause you can
use your thumb to index finger to get a 30 nautical mile distance on
any longitude line (60 if you are using WAC's) and then use that to
measure distances elsewhere on the map. No need for a ruler.

The other thing is my Husky has as it's primary markings on the
airspeed indicator in statute miles. Now it was built in 1996. At first
I said "what the heck?". But typical cruising altitudes around Colorado
flatlands are 6-8000'. (Not bad altitudes elsewhere either). And it
just so happens that statute miles indicated is pretty close to Knots
True at these altitudes! Shazaam. (I've always been dumbfounded by the
number of students that have no concept of knots true. Its what matters
if you are actually trying to GET somewhere!).

Anyway, just thought I'd share.