Old March 29th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

Default Near miss from space junk.

On Mar 29, 11:18 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Oz Lander writes:
OK, so TCAS reads transponder codes. I thought it was like a radar.

TCAS I (the kind often used on small aircraft) reads Mode C replies from other
transponders and builds a picture of the airspace from that, with moderate
accuracy. TCAS II (the kind mandated on large aircraft) also listens to other
TCAS systems to build a much more accurate picture of the airspace (if lots of
other aircraft are similarly equipped).

None of the small aircraft I have ever flown has had TCAS.. Are you
sure you got that right ???