Old October 27th 03, 04:25 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:16:58 +0000 (UTC), "John Mason"
wrote:

....snippage...

(Rigging errors not found in the speed
of the launch, not watching airspeed and spinning after the launch because
of distraction with the high workload of the winch and not dealing with the
angle of attack in the launch properly and so on).

....snippage...

None of these points are unique to winching.

- I've seen many more comments on r.a.s about failed aero tows
due to rigging errors than I've heard about for winching. To me this
says more about the safety culture (or lack of it) at different
sites than anything to do with the launch method.
- incorrect airspeed and stall/spin after release is just as possible
at the end of an aero tow if you overcook the climbing turn.
- AOA mis-management will be *much* more serious during an aero tow
on a CG hook than during a winch launch provided the appropriate
weak link is used. Think tug upset.

I launch both ways though I'll admit to many more winch than aero-tow
starts. I see very little difference in pilot stress levels or
workload between the launch methods in good conditions, but the
overall stress from an aero tow is larger, simply because you're on
tow for 5 minutes or more compared with the 30 seconds to get to the
top of the cable. If I'm flying something as sluggish in roll as a
G.103A in turbulent, windy conditions then winching has a much lower
work load than aero-tow.

This is my opinion entirely: I'm not speaking for anybody else or
trying to put words in their mouth.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK