Old September 12th 04, 12:36 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 02:13:50 +0100, "John Mullen"
wrote:

"Venik" wrote in message
Wolfhenson wrote:

Any steel
containing 5% nickel or more is considered to be resistant to
atmospheric corrosion in addition most nickel steels contain chromium
in similar quantity as nickel and that is another element that makes
the steel stainless.

Let's stick to technical definitions: stainless steel is a ferrous alloy
with a minimum of 10.5% chromium content. Major elements of the MiG-25
were made of appoximately 80% of VNS-2, VNS-4, and VNS-5 alloys, 11% D-19T
aluminum alloy and 8% OT4-1 titanium alloy, none of which falls under this
definition.

Really? Ah, there goes one of my favourite aviation anecdotes.

John

I'd always wondered if it was made of cast iron and we were giving
them too much credit.