Old April 29th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default A strange richness...

Mogas has a wider distillation temp range than a/c fuel. The light
components of mogas will more easily evaporate from the bowl leaving
you with a more-like-kerosene mixture for starting, depending on how
long it has been sitting. Yes you can usually get things going, but it
does mean grinding the starter more.

In the fifties farmers would burn something we called "Powerfuel" in
their carburated tractors. I worked in a garage & we could never get
them going without priming with fresh gasoline.

Well, they must've changed the mix since the 1950s a bit, because I
have never experienced any of the adverse symptoms you describe, in any
internal combustion engine, from tiny 2-strokes, to automotive V-8s, to
aircraft engines.

Or maybe we get better mogas here in Iowa? :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA