Old April 21st 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Scott Skylane

Default localizer approach and gs intercept altitude

Matt wrote:

Hi everyone. A quick question from an instrument student:

If I am flying a localizer approach where there is a glide slope intercept
alitude (lightning bolt) that is lower than the inbound altitude prior to
the final approach fix, can I descend to the gs intercept altitude although
I am flying the nonprecision approach?

For example, on this approach: http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0704/00446I20.PDF

Can I descend to 2200 prior to Wesie, or do I have to stay at 2400 until
crossing the non-precision FAF?

Thanks

Matt

Matt,

In this case, the 2400 is the minimun altitude while in the hold/course
reversal. You are good to 2200 when inbound for the LOC approach, until
crossing WESIE.

As a side note, who else can spot the huge charting error on that plate?

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane