Old June 16th 15, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default ANPRM - removal of transponder exception for gliders

What do people see for transponder install costs? There seems to be quite
a few already installed out there, but I haven't heard what it takes
beyond what the units cost.

Matt

Having just spent a good soaring day driving to the airport, trailering the glider to the avionics shop appointment, then back to the home airport, then driving back home from the home airport, I'd note that Avionic's technician's availability, capacity, and willingness to work on gliders is a hidden cost. The fee quoted for biennial transponder certification by two shops was $50 and $125.

The previous owner who installed my Trig trailered four hours one way to a tech who was willing to install it.