Old March 20th 19, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Avare

On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 11:52:00 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
After relooking at your post and the Avare help files, that doesn't work
for me.Â* All what you suggested did was to make my airplane symbol
disappear.Â* I need that to see the spatial relationships of the ADS-B
aircraft displayed around me.Â* What I want to remove is my call sign and
altitude displayed just below my aircraft symbol.

Thanks, anyway.

On 3/20/2019 8:41 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Thanks! Following those links to see what to do.

On 3/19/2019 7:15 PM, Duster wrote:
How to disable location display icon (own-ship display)
... on my location when I type the center icon on the Avare screen,
but I don't want the location display icon (referred to as own-ship
display by the FAA) ...

Avare has as remedy for this by providing a transparent icon so your
own ship is not displayed. See
https://apps4av.com/avare-overview/c...ernal-gpsadsb/
There are also a number of YouTube tutorials for using a Avare And I
seem to recall the issue being resolved in at least one of them.

--
Dan, 5J

I also have ADS-B Out and use Avare's ADSB Pro running on an Android phone for my ADS-B In.Â* The ADS-B signals come in via a separately-bought USB dongle kit, which includes a small whip antenna. The antenna plus into the dongle, which plugs into the phone's USB port.Â* The combined cost of the ADS-B Pro app and the hardware was about $19.

Compared to Avare, their ADSB app has a prisitine interface that shows my position as a blue dot on over a basic map.Â* ADS-B traffic is shown as various icons, depending on the type of traffic.Â*

Unlike Avare, the ADSB app is a smaller software that lacks the nice/cluttered aeronautical features and just shows ADS-B traffic.Â* I do also have Avare on the phone, and it can run concurrently in the background.Â* Two taps on the screen bring either app back to the front.Â* The regular aeronautical stuff I need (e.g., airspaces, flight data) is on XCSoar, which run on a different screen.Â*Â*Â*

Once, the blue dot at the center screen was replaced by a red glider icon.Â* That got my attention and, after looking all around, it dawned on me that it was my "own ship".Â* I was near a cloud base on half-cloudy day when that happened, so maybe my ADS-B Out signals were bouncing off and triggering that glider icon.Â* After about five minutes, my blue dot came back, replacing the glider icon.Â* That anomaly happened only once in about 15 flights with ADSB Pro.