Old March 20th 19, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Avare

The ADS-B in my glider is configured as Out/In, therefore, when my ADS-B
Out sends out its signal, the ground stations send back all of the
aircraft within my "hockey puck" of airspace.Â* I'm used to the red
aircraft symbol, though a simple "dot" would be better.Â* What I'm
complaining about is the data block below my "own ship" which looks like
the data blocks of other aircraft, without the flight vector, since I'm
not moving with respect to myself.Â* The block has my N-number and an
altitude differential (due to the local altimeter setting) and looks
something like: N995J -274

It's distracting.Â* I'll take a look at ADSB Pro.

On 3/20/2019 1:40 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 11:52:00 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
After relooking at your post and the Avare help files, that doesn't work
for me.Â* All what you suggested did was to make my airplane symbol
disappear.Â* I need that to see the spatial relationships of the ADS-B
aircraft displayed around me.Â* What I want to remove is my call sign and
altitude displayed just below my aircraft symbol.

Thanks, anyway.

On 3/20/2019 8:41 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
Thanks! Following those links to see what to do.

On 3/19/2019 7:15 PM, Duster wrote:
How to disable location display icon (own-ship display)
... on my location when I type the center icon on the Avare screen,
but I don't want the location display icon (referred to as own-ship
display by the FAA) ...

Avare has as remedy for this by providing a transparent icon so your
own ship is not displayed. See
https://apps4av.com/avare-overview/c...ernal-gpsadsb/
There are also a number of YouTube tutorials for using a Avare And I
seem to recall the issue being resolved in at least one of them.

--
Dan, 5J

I also have ADS-B Out and use Avare's ADSB Pro running on an Android phone for my ADS-B In.Â* The ADS-B signals come in via a separately-bought USB dongle kit, which includes a small whip antenna. The antenna plus into the dongle, which plugs into the phone's USB port.Â* The combined cost of the ADS-B Pro app and the hardware was about $19.

Compared to Avare, their ADSB app has a prisitine interface that shows my position as a blue dot on over a basic map.Â* ADS-B traffic is shown as various icons, depending on the type of traffic.

Unlike Avare, the ADSB app is a smaller software that lacks the nice/cluttered aeronautical features and just shows ADS-B traffic.Â* I do also have Avare on the phone, and it can run concurrently in the background.Â* Two taps on the screen bring either app back to the front.Â* The regular aeronautical stuff I need (e.g., airspaces, flight data) is on XCSoar, which run on a different screen.

Once, the blue dot at the center screen was replaced by a red glider icon.Â* That got my attention and, after looking all around, it dawned on me that it was my "own ship".Â* I was near a cloud base on half-cloudy day when that happened, so maybe my ADS-B Out signals were bouncing off and triggering that glider icon.Â* After about five minutes, my blue dot came back, replacing the glider icon.Â* That anomaly happened only once in about 15 flights with ADSB Pro.

--
Dan, 5J