Old May 24th 04, 06:10 PM
Fred Mueller

3D is very dependent on the video card. I have a P3 700mhz laptop
that won't even think about 3D.

My recommendation for a budget laptop for soaring is based on my own
perspective which won't fit all sizes.

I fly in a few contests so I want a laptop primarily for the days
where we use pilot selected turnpoints. Before I turn in my
scorecard, I want to be able to verify that I've made all the
turnpoints that I've claimed and that I've claimed all the turnpoints
that I've made. The 2D mode is more than adequate for post flight
analysis and self flagellation.

FM

Eric Greenwell wrote in message ...
Fred Mueller wrote:
I'm also looking to replace my aging (falling apart) laptop with a
used laptop.

www.dellauction.com

Appears that these are laptops returned off lease. Most of them are a
couple years old, still have warranty and will happily do all the
glider stuff needed except they probably won't do the 3D mode in
SeeYou.

Most of these laptops seem to be going for $300-$500

I suspect they'd all do the 3d mode just fine, based on the fact my 4
year old Dell desktop (650 mhz, 256mb memory, Nvidia display) handles
the 3 D mode just fine. My 2 year old Toshiba laptop (1 ghz, 256mb
memory, Intel graphics controller) also handles the 3D mode perfectly
and more quickly. My 8 year old Toshiba (100 mhz, 40 mb memory) also ran
earlier versions of Seeyou (whatever version was current in Sept 2002,
when I stopped using the laptop) well, but I don't remember if the 3D
version was out then.