Old March 23rd 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Altimeter off

On Mar 20, 11:53 am, "kevmor" wrote:
How can you adjust an altimeter if the pressure isn't correct in the
window for the altitude? I started talking to my examiner about it on
the checkride and he said that a lot of people adjust it themselves
(not an avionics shop, etc), and he said you take the front off (I
think) and theres a screw to adjust it? The plane would be used for
VFR only...

Is there an adjustment that can be made to the encoder as well if it's
off?

http://www.cozybuilders.org/newsletters/news_30.html
It's easy enough to do if you want to. BUT

It's a) not legal and b) adjusting the altimeter at your airport
elevation may make it totally out of spec at cruising altitude. The
instrument shop adjusts it so that it's in spec over the entire range
of altitudes, not just correct at one particular one.

Ed