Old February 14th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default Rent vs. Own

But the one thing you cannot put a price on it being able to walk out to
you airplane and fly it after a week of bad weather and there is no one
in line in front of you. The plane is exactly as you left it and not the
prior renter. The condition of the plane is known to you because you
assisted the A&P/IA in its annual and any repairs that come along. I fly
about 60 to 70 hours a year and I know I am paying more than renting.
But I would not trade this for anything.

Another thing that is difficult to value is tossing the keys at the FBO
person and saying "it's broke, give me another one" when the rental is
not up to snuff. The rentals are inspected every 100 hours and whatever
it costs to make it airworthy ain't your problem. The thing likely has
fuel in it. And it probably just flew around a bit so it is likely to
keep doing so when you get in it.

As an owner, I would find it hard to start renting. Too old and too
fussy. But the cost and aggravation is quite a bit higher as many have
already stated. To some this is a wonderful mental and financial
challenge. To others, it is a pain in the ass. After 14 years of
ownership, I have gone from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Good Luck,
Mike