Old November 23rd 09, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

Default Three take offs = three landings at Newton MS and Madison MS - Video

In article
,
D Ramapriya wrote:

On Nov 23, 1:10*am, a wrote:

The wrong place to lose energy on a short field is in the flare. Get
it slow on short final. Also, although probably not in your manual,
once on the ground get the flaps up -- it puts more weight on the
landing gear and braking is more effective.

One of my abiding mysteries (probably my first ever post on RAP was on
this yonks ago)... why don't pilots retract flaps immediately
following touchdown and increase weight on the tires for better
braking? Over the years, I've been told that (a) the flaps take far
too long to retract to be beneficial and (b) the drag they produce is
generally more efficient than the corresponding tire braking benefit.

The only reason I don't retract flaps after touchdown is because I
constantly forget to....

It's very helpful in my glider to do this. Not only does it put weight
on the tire and prevent lifting off again, but it also greatly improves
roll control due to how the flaps and ailerons are linked, which is
important on the ground roll for something with just one tire. And it's
effective immediately because the flaps are directly actuated by the
flap handle, so it takes literally half a second to put them all the way
up. Trouble is, most of the time I don't remember to do this until long
after I've rolled to a stop.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth