Old September 19th 04, 05:09 PM
Jsh51760

OK guys, I've been following this and i have to admit that I'm not on all the
missions you have listed in this thread but it seems to me that there is one
that is very aparent by it's absense. Since we're talking about strategic
missions, how about the mission of the Strategic Air Command?
For nearly 50 years their mission was to insure that we maintained a viable
nuclear deterence, maintain 2/3 of the US's nuke strike capability and train
for and conduct strategic bombing missions, both conventional and nuke.
While they were never called upon to conduct the nuke missions, they were
called upon at several times to conduct conventional missions. And since there
was never a nuke exchange while SAC was in operation, I'd venture a guess at
saying they were very succesful at the deterence side of their mission.

just my 2 cents

Jim
SAC Cop
78-88