Old August 29th 18, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Default Ventus C vs LS6

Le mercredi 29 août 2018 15:22:55 UTC+2, a écritÂ*:
Hi there,

having owned both, I'd always go with the LS6. The Ventus C handling is not bad, but it needs constant attention when circling in narrow thermals, because it's stability isn't very good (but better than the B-version). This is easier with an LS6.

Also personally I prefer LS cockpits because of the nice seat back and headrest which are more comfortable, if you fit in. Then you have waterbags instead of integral tanks, which are easier to service in case of leakage. If it's an LS6-c, it also has automatic connections of the controls, so no difference there. You probably wouldn't prefer an LS6-a or -b over an Ventus-c, because it has only 15m of span.

About the trailer, if it's not in a total devastating state, it should be ok. You can repair it during winter or get a better one. I'd base my decision more on the glider, it's handling, state and comfort.

Regards
Stefan

I have about 1400 h in my Ventus cM (17.6 m) and have flown extensively "against" a LS6-18W.
The handling of the Ventus is very nice and docile; you can take off your hands during thermalling.
All pilots of LS6-18W's consistently tell me what a pleasure the glider is to fly - I suppose that there is some truth there ;-)

Performance-wise, the LS6 was climbing better than me, but he was at 36 kg/m2 while I was at 44 kg/m2. On the L/D, it seems to me that the LS6 has 1-2 points more (the Ventus is at 47).