Old October 4th 18, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Shooting down UAVs

I agree with the training comment.
I also wonder, how often do peeps think a "shootdown" will be weapons from the ground vs. from the air?
If from the air, using what? Not much real radar profile, essentially NO heat signature. If "guns", are the shooters cognizant of whatever may be behind the target? Since these are usually low altitude, this more likely means shooting down.

Why do I bring this up? Back in the 60's, a couple houses from me (before I moved here, may find an article with Ringwood, NJ in it), an F4(?) was testing wing loads (bombs, tanks, whatever) and they had an issue. The pilot looked down, only saw trees, punched out. Our whole town is basically old forest and roads/houses disappear.
The jet spiraled down, hit trees, a house, scattered bits up the street. Pilot was OK, ground peeps were OK.

Fast forward, some govt. entity wants to shoot down a UAV (hopefully "U"), looks, sees no human activity, shoots, misses and maybe hits ground peeps or homes, etc.
What a nightmare that becomes.