Old October 10th 18, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default ADSB panel display

Hmmmmmm...Â* A possibility might be a daylight readable Android device
running XCSoar and kept zoomed in to about 10 miles or even something
less.Â* Also turn off the terrain so that you just have a plain white
screen.Â* You could also use a null turn point file and turn off all or
most of the other stuff so that you just have the white screen
displaying ADS-B and Flarm targets.

The device could be strapped to your leg or mounted to a stand off
attached to the side of your panel.

In my Stemme, I have a ClearNav II system on the left side, but I also
have a Dell Streak 5 on the right side running XCSoar.Â* It provides good
target information based upon the serial stream from the PowerFlarm.

On 10/9/2018 6:14 PM, wrote:

Hi Daryl, thanks for your comments as usual. I'd have both systems (Flarm and adsb) in my glider if money and battery power and panel area were free. But having invested in a Trig 22 (which I felt was essential, much more than flarm, when moving to Minden) and recently having added adsb-out, I feel my best course forward is to get adsb-in. Adsb recieivers are cheap, but nice displays like ATD57 won't work with them, they only accept proprietary flarm protocol. I wonder why, it seems against market wishes. I personally feel that Flarm was a great early solution, but will soon be wasted money in the USA. In fact its even harmful, in syphoning money better spend on adsb. I think flarm's promise of 'safe gaggling' is not realistic now, if it ever was, since not all gliders do or will have flarm in the US.

--
Dan, 5J