Old October 10th 18, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

Default Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 9:02:23 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Did the wave camp have a special waiver allowing flights above FL280 and into RVSM airspace?

Technically, the window operation IS a waiver from RVSM and other IFR/equipment/certification rules.

Many wave windows are not concerned with RVSM requirements. Since the window excludes the machinery that seek and use RVSM separations, the machines/gliders inside the Window (or column) are operating VFR separations between window participants (glider to glider, See and Avoid).

Most wave windows are tailored in lateral boundaries to minimize impacts on IR routes and commercial air traffic. The integration of wave columnar airspace and lateral jetways can happen in real time, depending on the requirements of the window "contract" or Letter of Agreement (LOA).

Sometimes glider use is "capped" temporarily to allow an IFR overhead transition. Ie., Glider Two Four Xray remain below FL 240. Later a clearance to climb at will can be issued. I have personally received inquiries by ATC to confirm if I can "remain above FL XX for XX minutes" while a transition occurs below me.

Sometimes windows are segmented laterally like stepping stones to allow XC work by gliders to move along the ridgeline, and allow IFR traffic to transition an area ahead or behind the XC Flight Levels glider(s).

There is tremendous diversity in various wave windows, allowing recreational pilots access to Flight Levels. The important thing to remember is that the LOA is a contract between users and the FAA. Failure to adhere to terms of use could result enforcement action individually and in loss of privileges to future pilots. It is the User's responsibility to know how to comply....get a good briefing.

Fly safely,

Cindy B
SSA Government Liaison, Airspace