Old September 17th 04, 07:30 AM
Atcrossroad

(BlackBeard) wrote in message . com...
"Doug \"Woody\" and Erin Beal" wrote in message ...
Look, your best bet is NOT to enlist. Get your citizenship first and either
jump into the Navy or Air Force as an officer OR go to someplace like Eglin
AFB, NAS Pax River, MD, or NAWS China Lake, CA and get a challenging
technical job as a civilian engineer (civil servant). The pay will be
decent, and the satisfaction is great because you'll be working with cutting
edge weapons systems--hands on--an engineer's dream.

The best advice so far, but....

With the exception that his story was just vague enough to raise
flags. PhD in what? He stated electronics was just a hobby and he
doesn't have the degree in it. So is he an ME? AE? Choo-Choo
engineer? Sanitation Engineer?

Well, story is indeed strange. That's what one gets for getting into a
2nd tier schools. I have a Ph.D. in systems engineering. Catch, I have
only a vague clue about systems engineering. All my research was in
materials science/metallurgy/manufacturing. Engineering school awarded
systems engineering Ph.D.s to everybody enrolled in its Ph.D. programs
even though school of engineering had 3 quite different departments
(Mechanical engineering (my department), electrical systems, computer
science). After I've left, school started a Ph.D. program in
mechanical engineering which would suit my research/thesis much
better. You see, I have a Ph.D. in systems engineering but all my
experience is in materials science/metallurgy. When I apply for mat
science jobs, my sys eng. degree raises flags. I have a B.S. in
metallurgical engineering, not really a high demand/growth field too.
Preemptive remark, school/my Ph.D. program were ABET accredited.

Second tier program? How so? We have lots of S&E's from all sorts
of schools and that is rarely the most important criteria for getting
a decent job if you are competent in your field.

There is a significant Ph.D. glut in the labor market. Ph.D. from a
good school is not an advantage (in most of the cases) in the real
world (outside of narrow research fields). Ph.D. from a second tier is
simply a burden on one's neck. I think I am quite competent in my
field. However, my research was not really industry oriented. And no
matter what you say about competence, resume screeners are looking not
for competent folks but for those whose resume matches job description
the most (I've exhausted all my network connections while looking for
an engineering spot). As I've told, I am looking for engineering
position not for a research position. Well, a Ph.D. applying for
entry/near entry engineering positions would raise your flags too (
Life's so "sweet" in the Ph.D. world. Why would anyone want to
switch?). In the "real world", there are many misconceptions about
Ph.D.s, which really hurt those trying to jump the research boat.

Obviously he can't
be talking about only looking for the best jobs out there or I
wouldn't think enlistment in the Mil would fit any of his desires...
Pay? Job challenge? Environment? Opportunity?

Well, nobody could scare a postdoc with ****ty pay, long hours, and so
on. I am looking just for an engineering job (pay, etc. is not an
issue) to stick my leg into an engineering field. I know engineering
is not sugar, I know I will not last long (due to the age
discrimination), but I just like to do something I like and good at (I
can claim that, I've designed/built several moderately complicated
experimental devices.)

Sorry, the story is so vague and downright strange I would pass on
it if I was in a hiring position. I apologize in advance to the
author, but my initial impression of the post was that it was bait for
an upcoming troll or a fabrication from a very young (naive) person
creating a scenario for whatever reason.

I wish you were correct and I would be just a young naive troll.

I've worked with far too many PhD's and advanced degree Engineers to
believe he can't get a job in his 'field' (yet undefined). It's
certainly plausible he can't find the job he _wants_, but that's
something different. Enlisting in the Navy would be as far from a
rational solution as digging a hole and sitting in it because you
issed your bus. Bizarre.

Well, Ideally I would want a job in design of materials
testing/laboratory.... equipment or design of process control systems.
That's why adding a formal electronics credentials would be a plus. I
could do some "menial"/odd jobs in the civil life while getting those
credentials or I could do something electronics related in navy while
getting them. Postdocing is way too life/time demanding to do anything
else than slaving. I had quite a few EE classes, it should not take
that long. Another thing is that getting EE credentials will leave a
gigantic gap in my resume=good bye everything, good morning Wal-Mart.
I'm trapped. I think you have some misconceptions, a Ph.D. is rarely a
plus when one wants an engineering job in mat. sci./metallurgy. Maybe
in some other fields, but in mat. sci. Ph.D.s are doomed to be lab or
paper writing rats. I'd rather be on shop's floor.

yes, I can find another postdoc in not time at all. Bad side, I hate
it and it's a way nowhere. I would hate being an assistant professor
even more.

I know the China Lake folks are usually looking for engineers because they
can't find enough people who want to live there.

--Woody

Yep, they just can't stand all the green fields and the huge lake
and perfect weather. Fishing, sailing, skiiing et al. on the lake,
that's the pamphlet I saw ...

BB