Old October 28th 04, 11:02 PM
Peter Duniho

"Save the Elephants" wrote in message
[...]
I guess the lesson is, be aware of your surroundings! A zebra isn't
likely to get into this kind of trouble in America, but we DO have lots of
deer, moose, even bears that come to grief every year. [...]

Not to mention turtles (had to avoid one on the taxiway at Orlando Executive
one time).

Name any animal native to North America, and one of them has probably
wandered onto a runway at some point. Probably even a few non-native
species have found their way to the wrong place too. It's a good reminder
that other aircraft are relatively easy to see, and we still run into those
when they're in the wrong place at the wrong time; animals are even harder
to avoid, but present a very real hazard.

Obviously there's a limit to how much time you can invest monitoring the
runway edges while you're supposed to be keeping it on centerline, flaring,
braking, etc. but somewhere in there ought to be *some* kind of "runway
environment scan". Thanks for the reminder.

Pete