Old December 29th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Default Tax Exempt Clubs (USA)

Michael McNulty wrote:
"Fox Two" wrote in message
ups.com...
Our club is hoping to join the list of clubs in the USA who are
501(c)(3) tax exempt. My question is: why isn't the SSA a 501(c)(3)
organization, and why aren't all SSA clubs tax exempt? It would seem
to be an obvious way to grow revenues!

All club dues would be a tax write-off, and all donations could be
deducted as well! Am I missing something?

F2

The SSA is a 501(c)(3), as are many soaring clubs in the United States.
Check out the listing at for a listing go to www.guidestar.org and do a
search for soaring.

If you look into it, I think you'll find that while donations are
deductible, dues are not. (I know someone is thinging that they'll just
call their dues a donation. This is a not very clever way to loose your tax
exempt status.) As local clubs are not "owned" by the SSA and do not pass
their funds through to the SSA, the fact that the SSA is tax exempt does not
provide any such status to the local club. This is my understanding as a
non-professional officer of several 501(c)(3)'s over the years. If any
professionals are out there perhaps they have better information.

Seems about right for a club that is a c3, but I wonder if there are
many clubs that have such status. Maybe the IRS was more generous in
the past, but I bet clubs aren't granted c3 status these days. It is
hard to argue that there is anything "charitable" about a group of
glider pilots.