Old July 20th 03, 03:42 AM
John H. Campbell

This was all on ASK-13's. I think in the US most clubs use
glass gliders.

Heh, heh, heh. Mostly metal, actually. L-23s and 2-33s lead the fleet.
Besides, USA is almost exactly 1/2 "clubs" (pay less, work more) and 1/2
"operators" (pay more, fly more), kind of like public/private schools (or is
that private/public?). You have the choice. Other things you should know
about the USA are that FAA training is mostly gliding vs. soaring, launching
is mostly aerotow, and airfields & airspace are not too crowded. Oh, and
the soaring is fantastic, given 3,000 x 1,500 miles to search through.

I was looking for places in Arizona but they don't seem to offer
much instruction.

Does this cinch this message as a put-on? Every month, Arizona Soaring (SW
of Phoenix) and Turf Soaring (NW of Phoenix) vy for student pilot attention
with adjacent full-page Ads in SOARING magazine. Not to mention Tucson
Soaring Club and other active outfits.

A place in N. California at Hollister looks good
but that's a long way from the UK.

Once you've crossed the Atlantic, is there that much difference? (tickets to
L.A. are cheaper than to Phoenix). You can do a week's intensive course
anywhere from Bermuda High near Kitty Hawk to Mile High Gliding in the
Rockies to Sky Sailing by San Diego (... dozens more).