Old July 22nd 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Orphaned Engine

On Jul 22, 1:12*pm, "Morgans" wrote:

When you say 6 different Type 1 engines, is that difference defined by
displacement, or is there some other designation to differentiate among the
Type 1 engines?

Mostly displacement. The original (ie, late thirties through about
1943) was not designated in so far as I know but with a disignator,
possibly because it's spec changed so frequently. But the E-type
engine (1943) became the 1100, then the 1200, 1300, 1500 and 1600.
Within that group of engines were a number of variants some of which
appeared on the logo (1300S) although most did not.

The fact the same basic engine was used in the Sedan (ie, Type I), the
Transporter (type II) and the fastback (type III) is what compounds
the foolishness. And then you ran into all of the variants specific
to type, such as the fuel injected engines.

But that has little to do with converting a VW engine for flight since
you should base your build on all new, universal replacement parts.

Are all of the Type 1 cases the same?

Only if you're talking about the Universal Replacement Crankcase.
Special mounting lugs were installed on the rear of the cases used in
the Transporter, some fuel injected cases did not have provision for a
mechanical fuel pump, the threaded boss for the oil pressure switch
wandered around a bit and so forth.

As a point of interest, the State of California represented a market
larger than all of Canada -- large enough for VW to produce a number
of variations specific to SoCal's smog requirements. Those of us
living here are familiar with those engines whereas a VW mechanic from
another region is liable to have never even seen one.

For the most part, the internals stayed the same. All 1300, 1500 and
1600 engines used the same cam, for example (the 'Transporter Cam' is
a myth). But by the time you got out to the heads you are looking at
dozens of variations, all built in significant numbers. This is where
things begin to get serious because the chamber volume and deck height
must be identical across all four jugs. Try running a pair of mis-
matched heads and you could ltlrash the thing on the first hill.

In my blog I've spent some time talking about blueprinting the parts.
Aside from simply checking them against the spec, blueprinting is
needed to ensure you end up with a collection of parts that are
compatible.

Thanks for all of the info, by the way.

You're welcome. But you can find it all in the official manuals. And
in the popular manuals I've mentioned in the TULZ series of articles.
Great Plains offers a manual and video specific to flying
conversions. What you won't find are the lurbrication and durability
mods -- the HVX mods -- that allowed us to turn the VW in something
that could run flat-out for 24 hours. When those mods are
incorporated into a VW converted for flight you end up with a more
efficient, cooler-running engine. However, all of those mods appeared
on the 1700 and later engines (ie, the 'type 4')l and are found on ALL
modern-day engines. Retro-fitting them to your engine simply brings
it up to date.

-R.S.Hoover