Old June 6th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
[email protected][_2_]

Default Welding question #2; rust holes

On Jun 6, 8:45*am, Michael Horowitz wrote:

Is it an 1/8" rust hole?

If it is a rust hole I'd be real concerned about the health of the
rest of the tube. Just how much rust is in there any way?

I learned this trick from a muffler shop guy long time ago and while
it's not strictly "aircraft method" it does work to find tubes that
are in need of replacement. Grab a set of Channel Lock type pliers
and find a piece of tube in known good shape of the same size and
gauge as the tube in question and squeeze until it just starts to
deflect. Take not of the force required. Now go squeeze the tube in
question. A good tube won't be damaged but a rusted tube will -
generally - deform at a noticeably reduced hand pressure. Really
rusted ones, and I've seen some that looked perfectly fine on the
outside, will crush with a noticeable crackling sound.
Leon McAtee