Old October 22nd 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
pgbnh

Default Practice Approach Handoff

Interesting.

Whenever I have done practice approaches, when asked 'How will this approach
terminate' I reply 'Missed approach'. To which ATC will usually say 'Fly
heading xxx on the missed approach' or 'Expect missed approach directions
from the towe'

Maybe what is meant is that flying the PUBLISHED missed is not authorized
for VFR practice approaches???
"Dennis Johnson" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks to Steven, Bob, and Mike for helpful explanations to my question
about my handoff to Tower (or lack of handoff) on a practice instrument
approach in VFR conditions.

Steven said, "Missed approach is not authorized for VFR practice
approaches." So I guess I said the wrong thing when I told Oakland Center
that I would terminate with a missed approach. What I meant was that I
wasn't going to land, I was going to fly over the runway and then depart
the area.

If a missed approach is not allowed, what language should I use to
indicate that I won't land and will depart the area?

Thanks,
Dennis