Old August 1st 19, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Tow Plane Glider Mid-air

Having seen the substantially damaged aircraft afterwards, I know of a case where the tow pilot suspected engine trouble while rolling on the takeoff. He pulled off the runway to the right. The glider rear-ended the towplane.. There were no human injuries.

Having been the glider pilot involved, I know of a case where the right landing gear of the Pawnee towplane collapsed during the takeoff roll at ~35 knots (glider was flying in ground effect, towplane was rolling). Towplane ground looped to the right. Glider went left. Collision averted. No injuries.

None of these three scenarios of 'towplane goes to the right' were discussed in training. In two of the three cases, the glider pilot had time to respond, in the moment, to a novel scenario, and avert collision. You really need to be ready for anything.