Old February 6th 04, 08:25 PM
Melchior FRANZ

* Sam Body -- Friday 06 February 2004 21:06:
Is it possible to have a flight simulator (MS or X-plane) to send the
simulated position to the serial port (MNEA phrases) in such a way
that a real handheld GPS would show that sane position on it's screen.

Haven't tried it, but I think this works in FlightGear:
http://www.flightgear.org/
FlightGear is licensed under the GPL (GNU public license) and can be
downloaded for free, together with the whole source code (optionally).
It works under MICROS~1 Windows, Linux, IRIX, Mac OS X, ...

Screenshots under http://www.flightgear.org/Gallery/ and
http://www.simscreens.net/index.php?...egories&sim=14

From the README.IO file:

| Serial Port Communication:
|
| --nmea=serial,dir,hz,device,baud
|
| device = OS device name of serial line to be open()'ed
| baud = {300, 1200, 2400, ..., 230400}
|
| example to pretend we are a real gps and output to a moving map application:
|
| --nmea=serial,out,0.5,COM1,4800
|
| Note that for unix varients you might use a device name like "/dev/ttyS0"

m.