Old November 9th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

Default Thrown out of an FBO...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
True, my comments were inappropriate given his position, and I regret
them. However, aside from the obvious fact that you never, EVER speak
with a customer the way he did, it is common knowledge that (a) most
charter pilots NEVER fill the courtesy car, and (b) we all know they
don't make diddly squat for salary -- which is why those of us who
provide courtesy cars turn the other cheek and continue to let them
borrow our cars.

You can call it a "stereotype" if you wish. I call it "experience."

Yeah, I didn't think you'd actually get the point.

Last clue: "common knowledge" often has no bearing whatsoever on the truth,
and in your case is being used simply as an excuse to stereotype. Even if
in your experience, things are as you state (and frankly, even knowing who
is and who is not a charter pilot is not always easy to tell, and as far as
salaries go, unless you're asking everyone for financials as they come
through, you have NO way to know that), that does not justify painting all
charter pilots with the same brush.

I admit that the question of charter pilot behavior is not so socially
important as the question of race relations, but your way of thinking about
the former is exactly the same sort of thinking that causes problems in the
latter. The consequences of your prejudiced thinking may not be as serious,
but it's exactly the same mindset. It's not appropriate in any context.

Pete