Old February 4th 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
G. Sylvester

Default The one minute turn that can save your life

John T wrote:
"G. Sylvester" wrote in message

From
everything that I've read, heard , taught and practice, IFR flying is
80% plus looking at the AI with quick glances for confirmation to the
other instruments. Why do it differently for VFR students?

Maybe I'm an anomaly, but I don't use the AI nearly that much in my IMC
flying.

Again, I'm no authority but there is a reason why the AI is twice as
large as the other instruments in very high performance (King Air on up)
airplanes. Basically you've been flying partial panel. On MS Flight
sim, do approaches with 20G50 at a right angle, heavy rain, 100 foot
ceilings, 1/4 mile vis staring at the AI. Literally staring at the AI.
They are almost easy. You notice 1/4 line thickness deviations
quicker than the VSI, CDI or anything. It's literally instantaneous.
Then do it with everything but the AI and DG covered. Set the power,
fly the AI, DG and CDI. Cake.

Gerald