Old February 4th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default The one minute turn that can save your life

As a fairly new VFR pilot, I just thought I'd offer my perspective on
the 180 turn in IMC.

I am used to looking at the Attitude Indicator in VFR flight, and I
found it pretty easy to control the aircraft under the hood and in
actual IMC when flying with an instructor, including doing turns.

I am used to looking at the DG too.

I feel confident that, despite the additional stress and
disorientation of an actual IMC encounter, I could use these two
instruments to turn the plane 180, in control. I would know what
heading I was flying before, and I would set the 'bug' (found on most
DGs I have seen) to the new heading, just to make sure.

On the other hand, let's look at two instruments I hardly use at all.
I am not used to doing standard rate turns using the turn indicator,
nor to timing my turns using the clock. I would be concerned, if using
this method in an actual IMC encounter, that it would be harder to
focus on the AI as much. And focusing on the AI is what enables you to
keep control of the aircraft.

So I know what I will do if I get myself into that situation.

Tom