Old September 12th 09, 07:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FAA PTS "Slips to Landing" requirement vs No-spoiler landings

I concur with Kirk. Spoilerless approaches in glass requires a major
rethink of the approach and hopefully lots of practice in similar
(glass) ships prior to the real-deal. I do not believe, based on lots
of real-world experience, and observation, that most pilots could get
their glass ships on the ground in less than 3-4000 ft of runway
"first pass" without significant prior training, thought, and
practice.

Other than for the practice and proficiency, I do not know why anyone
would slip a 2-33 or similar to get rid of altitude. Merely pushing
over to higher speeds is very effective in such a draggy ship.

In preparation for the first flight of my AS-W12, I slipped anything
that was available to a spoilerless landing: Caproni (bad idea), AS-
W20, AS-W17, K21, Grobs, LS-4, etc. After those, the 12 was no big
deal. This type of approach and landing needs a serious change in
your paradigms and pretty much freaks out everyone who might be
watching as it is distinctly "abnormal". As the PIC, it is a bit
distracting seeing your "friends" lining the runway and exchanging
wager $$ based on your next landing. Major kudos to Larry and Jane
Barrett for their faith in me during my practice phase.

Like others have said, and similar to the Landing On Tow, spoilerless
approaches improve pilot skill and awareness and make an otherwise
boring day quite a bit more exciting. All of this is Good. Mastery of
spoilerless approaches = better pilot!