Old November 19th 05, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Good for another 2 years!

The mechanic had to remove the static hose connection to the altimeter
to get to the vacuum system filter... He did not reinstall the static
hose connection to the altimeter when he closed up the panel... Of
course, he is only an API charging me $65 an hour for his expertise,
what could I expect...
And we shot an ILS approach to minimums not long after that, which is
200 feet above the ground... WIth 75 feet allowable error on the
altimeter and another 30 feet for the loss of static pressure I might
have been only 95 feet off the ground... Not much of a cushion to cover
my lousy flying technique... And it was 7 months later when I did the
static cert before it was discovered... Luckily, the altimeter tests
dead nuts on at 1000 msl so I only had the 30 feet of static pressure
error when I shot that approach... As the man says, "tis better to be
lucky than good any day."...

denny