Old September 11th 05, 05:37 AM
Peter Duniho

"rps" wrote in message
oups.com...
I understand from several postings in various threads here that the
best time to cross the Siskiyous comfortably is early or late in the
day.

True for mountain flying generally.

1) What would be the best time to cross in the late afternoon or early
evening?

It depends. But if you can't make it in the morning, I'd say you're better
off waiting as late in the day as you can. Of course, that ignores what's
going with the weather; there may be reasons other than turbulence and wind
to affect your time of flight, which may suggest an earlier flight rather
than later.

2) Would it be okay to cross about 3 hours before sunset?

It depends. It certainly could be okay.

3) What is the weather like between late September and early November?

Variable. It can still be quite nice, and the chance of convective activity
is pretty low, even mid-afternoon. On the other hand, it could be quite
cloudy and rainy. By mid-Fall, freezing levels are coming down, and so even
an instrument rating might not get you across safely, if you don't have
deicing on your airplane.

Bottom line: it's a very doable flight, but keep your eye on the weather and
don't push your luck. Be prepared for delays.

But isn't that a valid description for most any general aviation route?

Pete