Old January 15th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land"

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Yea, we teach (or are suppose to teach) IFR pilots not to do that. Its
not very helpful for the intended purpose (to let everyone know where
you are).

I was taught, and it was reinforced by the DE, to use distance and
direction over waypoints.

If you think about it, it's not difficult to do, as the distance from
the named point to the airport is usually right on the plate. Also,
since most of us have at least a VFR GPS onboard, we have another
reference for distance out in between fixes.