Old February 3rd 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

Default Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land"

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Jan 15, 11:15 am, kontiki wrote:

Flight instructors should at least tell their students
about what IFR fixes are and where they are (at that airport).
Its not rocket science and it will help the student in the long run.

That would require students to purchase IFR charts for every airport
they visit.

I took "at that airport" to mean the home field, where most of the student
instruction takes place. But the purchase of IFR charts wouldn't be
required for any airport, they're available free online. Once the fixes are
identified the student can use a site such as AeroPlanner or SkyVector to
plot them on his VFR chart, which he should be purchasing anyway.

They would not only need approach charts but enroutes as well.

Why would they need enroute charts?

Its much simplier to just tell the IFR pilots that they need to
use VFR friendly phrasing. Instead of saying "I'm at FOOBAR" they
could just say "I'm 5 miles out on the the ILS straight in runway 12".
Its not very hard.

How is that VFR friendly phrasing? It uses IFR terminology.