Old November 3rd 17, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Train Wreck

On Friday, November 3, 2017 at 9:28:14 AM UTC-6, Steve Koerner wrote:
It's so sad to read this thread.

I do not agree with posters who suggest that there is anything fundamentally wrong at SSA or with the volunteers that are serving the membership. Yet in their efforts, one wrong decision has been taken. It needs to be reversed.

We need to return to objective standards for selection to the US team. The notion that a committee can predict international performance better than actual performance can predict performance, is flawed at the onset. The team committee should never have usurped authority to override the longstanding objective standards. I find it especially inappropriate when considering that the members of the committee are themselves all vying for positions on the various teams.

If the goal were drama and suspense, this would be the ideal way to achieve that. Just like on the TV show Survivor -- you empower the competitors to vote each other off the island. Anger, resentment and name calling are the predictable results. And so unnecessary.

Even if you are on the team committee and you really really believe that you are smarter than the actual contest results, I would urge you to reconsider whether the goodness that you can instill by overriding the objective standards is actually worth the damage that is done to the organization as a whole and the damage done to the credibility of the selections. I urge that we get the politics back out of US team selection?

Hoping we don't have to read a thread like this again next year...

Steve,

Thank you for the best reply in this thread. As you said this could have been predicted before we even embarked on this path.

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."

We learned nothing from the experiences of the 70's that led to the current system that was hard numbers.

In 2013, I had a conversation with Rick Walters at the SSA headquarters during the 15M Nationals. He was worried about any change to the system that would allow voting to select the team. I miss his wisdom more each year.

Tim