Old October 23rd 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Common instruments on small aircraft

Judah writes:

What makes you say this is makeshift?

Because it is. It takes a lot of time and attention during phases of
flight where time and attention are at a premium.

If it were that easy, there wouldn't be two navaid receivers in so
many aircraft.

Then you would get your Instrument Rating and fly a plane that had the
minimum required equipment. You might also carry some backup instruments like
a handheld GPS and handheld NAV/COM.

I'd want a GPS and radios in the plane, but I might well carry
handhelds just to be safe (along with a lot of other emergency stuff).

There are several sites where you can download sectionals at no cost. It was
discussed in an earlier thread. You can google it.

I'll look around.