Old August 20th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Cary

Default KAP140 problems

Yesterday I went out for some IMC practice, and had several problems
with my autopilot. The first thing I noticed is that while in altitude
hold and heading mode, whenever ATC gave me a heading change the
KAP140 had a hard time maintaining altitude. The VSI would go up or
down 600 to 800 fpm during the turn. When flying straight and level it
maintained altitude just fine. The other abnormality occured while on
an ILS approach. I intercepted the localizer fine and it was tracking
the localizer without a problem. When I was a couple miles out from
the FAF and the GS was one dot high, I lowered the gear and flaps as
usual. The KAP read GS (armed). However, after passing the FAF the
plane did not descend and the GS went full scale low. I disconnected
the AP and hand flew the plane, but the approach was not pretty (40 kt
tail winds didn't help). Anyone else see similar issues with a KAP140?
I would go up and test the AP again tomorrow, but King Bush will be
here and there is a TFR over my airport!
Cary