Old October 4th 17, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default ATC Privatization, HR 2997

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 5:10:22 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Mostly they are worried about airplane pilots having to pay per flight for ATC services. Won't affect soaring much. Motor pilots argue ATC services are paid for with avgas tax, but that also means they are subsidized by everyone that burns avgas and doesn't use ATC. Bigger issue is if a private company and a monopoly is making money off controlled airspace then they are likely to lobby for more controlled airspace. See red light camera scumbaggery for an example. Could argue that there is a safety issue, if every request to ATC generates a bill less pilots will use ATC. I think the ADSB mandate for motorplanes(in certain airspace) is going to drive more pilots out of the ATC system then pay per use would. Not getting excited I suspect the bill is privatization theatre and other than generating donations for the advocacy orgs will be a nothing burger. And if the rules do get too onerous we'll just paint all our gliders and towplanes black and fly at night.
Parachute people sent this:
THIS MAY BE OUR LAST CHANCE TO SAVE SKYDIVING FROM DIRE CONSEQUENCES

October 3, 2017

The proponents of the bad idea of stripping air traffic control from the FAA, and handing it to a new private corporation are planning to have the House vote on their bill--HR 2997--next week. All of the general aviation (GA) groups, including USPA, are opposed.

If you have not called your Congressional Representative and secured their "no" vote on HR 2997, please do so now!

1. Dial toll-free: 833-GAVOICE (833-428-6423), weekdays from 9-5 Eastern.

2. You will be asked to input your zip code then transferred to your Representative's office.

3. Say: "I am opposed to ATC privatization, and my Representative should vote 'no' on HR 2997."

If you do not call, and HR 2997 passes Congress and is signed into law, here is what could happen:
The airlines and large airports will gain control of the new ATC board, outweighing GA and skydiving interests.
FAA's current "first come, first served" ATC policy will be eliminated, degrading service to skydive operators.
Decisions affecting airspace and ATC procedures will favor airline efficiency and penalize skydiving operational and airspace needs.
Drop Zones could lose airspace.
Skydive operators will incur higher costs due to increased flight times; jump ticket costs will increase.
For more information, go to www.atcnotforsale.com.

Please call! The future of skydiving, and all of GA, is at stake!

A similar type of thinking brought us the USPS many years ago. How's that working out? I keeping thinking ADS-B's larger impact will be that it will become the toll beacon of the sky. That will impact soaring and all air sports as I'm sure any exemptions will canceled in a privatized ATC sky. Transponders squawking 1202 will just not be 'safe' enough.