Old March 17th 11, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JC

Default Standard Cirrus

The Cirrus is a very nice ship and transition should not be a problem.
Resting your arm on your leg to keep a steady hand is not a bad idea
until you get used to the low stick forces. When you raise the gear
you might waggle a bit. A regular tail would be better but the all
flying tail is not really an issue.
I find it more pleasant to fly than the Jantar. The handling is nice
and the cockpit is comfortable. Visibility is also very good.
If you get one be sure to check the C.G., in particular if you plan to
winch launch.
I donīt like the LīHotellier connectors and the little pins but you
get used to them. If itīs a pre ī75 model that has a sort of hook that
connects elevator control pay close attention during assembly as itīs
possible to connect improperly. The newer ones have a different system
thatīs more foolproof but with a slight amount of wear in the fittings
the tail can get quite wobbly.
For assembly it really helps to make the little arm with a stub pin to
hold one wing in while inserting the other. I think there is an
article in the Standard Cirrus website on this as well as the tail
assembly issue.
As Grider Pirate says, a good trailer is really important. Another
option in almost the same price range is the Pegase and itīs a more
modern design.
Good luck!

Juan Carlos

On Mar 17, 10:57*am, Grider Pirate wrote:
On Mar 16, 6:55*pm, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.

wrote:
Okay folks, your thoughts on the Standard Cirrus? *Good, bad
indifferent? *Flying tail, pros and cons? *I am new to gliding,
Commercial Add on, 140 flights and approx 100 hours, mostly in 1-34.
Would this be a reasonable next step?

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

Yes, but so is pretty much any 15 meter glass ship. *If you're looking
at a Standard Cirrus, I'm guessing money IS an object. *In near the
same price range don't rule out Libelles or Jantars. You've read it
here many times - the trailer makes a big difference.