Old July 22nd 03, 11:27 AM
Del Rawlins

On 21 Jul 2003 05:25 PM, Ernest Christley posted the following:
Corky Scott wrote:
All this blasting used up one entire 100 lb bag of Black Beauty.
That's one valve cover, one seat support, one seat base, a couple of
tiny pieces for the nose gear and one seat back, except that the seat
back had already been painted, I only had to repaint the swivel area
so that did not actually get blasted. A lot of sand goes very little
ways.

Why are you blasting flat areas? Wrap a piece of abrasive cloth in a
shop cloth and sand down the large areas. If you're worried about
scratches showing through, make a second pass with a higher grit.
It'll still take much less time. I will also be blasting before long,
but only in the corners and crevices where sandpaper doesn't want to
go.

Because sandblasting does a better, more thorough job than sandpaper,
and provides the best possible surface texture for coating adhesion.

Corky, what sort of sandblasting equipment are you using? I've had
dismal results with cheaper siphon type units (the blast out of a bucket
type) and finally broke down and bought a pressure tank blaster, which
still uses a lot of sand (and air) but is about 3-4 times as effective
as any siphon unit I have seen. If one is available for rental,
consider renting a pressure blast unit. At the time I was living in a
remote Alaskan fishing town and my only option was to buy one and have
it shipped in.

Depending on how many items you will need to blast and paint, it may be
worth a few bucks to drop them all off at a powdercoater who is set up
to do the work efficiently.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/